Monday, April 7, 2014

Make it Monday: Sharpie Mug

Happy Monday, Crafters!

Make it Monday: Sharpie Mug

Here's a question for you: how many DIYs and crafty projects do you have pinned on your Pinterest board that you haven't tried yet? Don't worry, I can relate! For some time now, I've been coming across the infamous “Sharpie Mug” and think "These are so cute. I want one. It looks SO easy!" Finally, I couldn't put it off for any longer and decided to give it a try. 

If you didn't already know, a Sharpie Mug is created by writing on a ceramic mug with a Sharpie then baking it in the oven! Clever, I know. This is a great way to spruce up a boring ol' mug and makes as an awesome gift!

After seeing all of the different creations on Pinterest, it made me want to recreate them all. Quite frankly, there isn't enough room in the cupboards for that to happen! So I went with a favorite quote of mine for one, and a double-sided one for the other. All you need for this is a ceramic mug and Sharpies. Through my in-depth research, I found that many people had the best success using oil-based Sharpie paint markers, so that's what I used today!


Make it Monday: Sharpie Mug

Before you begin, give your mug a good scrubbing with soap and water, and make sure it's completely dried before you begin.

Make it Monday: Sharpie Mug


Alright, it's time to get creative! Write, draw, or scribble whatever your heart desires onto your mug! Then place your mug in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. I placed my mugs in the oven THEN preheated it to give it a slow start-up. After time is up, turn the oven off and let it cool inside. Make sure your mug is COMPLETELY cooled before using or washing it. And the BIGGEST reminder, these are NOT dishwasher friendly! Gently wash your new decorative mug by hand.



Okay Crafters, here are my masterpieces! How did I do?

This is the one with my favorite quote: "She turned her cants into cans & dreams into plans"
Make it Monday: Sharpie Mug

This is the double-sided one: "He loves strong coffee" on one side & "She loves green tea" on the other!
Make it Monday: Sharpie Mug
Make it Monday: Sharpie Mug

The Sharpie Mug is a fun, affordable, and effortless project that everyone should try. I'll be sure to keep all of you updated on how mine holds up after the washing process! If you decide to give this DIY a try, which I highly suggest you do, feel free to share it with me :) Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved the sharpie mugs!!!...You have a beautiful blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Be sure to check out my new blog: www.eatprimplove.com

      Delete